The Top Pick for 2018 - Best Hoverboard:
- DESIGNED IN DENVER - Our hoverboards feature LED lights and are made of high-quality UL Certified materials
- ELECTRICAL SAFETY CERTIFIED - Electrical, battery, and charging systems are UL 2272 tested and certified.
- MORE POWER! - Enjoy 500 WATTS that will push your balance scooter to speeds of up to 7.4 mph
Breaking down the Criteria
Here's what we looked for ranking the best hoverboards. These 5 criteria are what you need to pay attention to:
- Maximum Speed
- Time it takes for it to be fully charged
- Maximum distance it can travel
- Ease of use
- Safety features
1. Maximum Speed
Most Hoverboards will travel at a top speed of 8mph and when fully charged, they can be used for a maximum of 2 hours. However it is possible that they travel up to 30mph. At least that is the legal limit in some areas. (But I couldn’t find one that actually goes that fast).
Maximum speed isn’t quite as important as other vehicles. Depending on what you want to do with your hoverboard (do tricks, commute to work, show off for your friends) max speed should be thought of more as a limiting factor if you have a lot of space and good road conditions to test it out.
2. The Time It Takes to Fully Charge the Battery
Don’t start riding your hoverboard until it is fully charged. I learned this from reading about how battery life and smartphones work. Pretty much what happens is you eventually wear the battery down (which means less time to do cool tricks). The best-rated hoverboards will take a maximum of 3 hours before being fully charged. So be sure to check the labels and battery stats to know how long it takes.
3. Maximum Distance It Can Travel
Though most of these hoverboards can travel several miles depending on the smoothness of the road, they are really made for short trips. Obviously you won’t be traveling 100s of miles on these but be sure to check the distance limits. This is really just the battery life. Some last up to 4 hours, while some just one hour.
4. Ease of Use
Hoverboards take time and patience to learn. That being said some boards are better for different body types. Mostly talking about weight and height. If you get the wrong one you may think its not for you but really you need one that ‘fits’ you. Therefore, it would be in your best interest to search for an Hoverboard that is created for both the beginners and experts. (sounds simple right?)
5. Safety Features
Any quality hoverboard must have a UL 2272 certification. This indicates that it has met the legally required safety standards. Don’t worry, the 5 best-rated hoverboards we chose all have met these requirements. You can trust the best hoverboard brands will comply with the top safety ratings.
If you want, you can search for a hoverboard with these two other safety features:
- Battery indicators. To know when your machine will require being charged again
- Auto shut off. This will prevent damage or overheat from the battery by shutting off once the battery is fully charged.
Hot and Trending Hoverboards:
- SHIPPED FROM US. - UL2272 CERTIFIED to ensure safety./ 90 Days warranty and friendly after-sale service. Have questions? Need help? Just feel free to contact us and you'll have our full attention!
- SMOOTH RIDES - 6.5" wheels with high quality rubber tires, comfortable non-slip and shock-absorbing footpedals, provide smooth riding experience. Load capacity from 44lb to 200 lb.
- GOOD PERFORMANCE - Self-balancing control system full of technology and quick to learn. Maximum speed can be up to 9MPH with 300 Watt dual hub motors, enjoy the speed and free yourself completely.
- Max speed: 6mph; last about 45-75 mins
- Battery Charge Time: 2-3 hours until fully charged
- Max weight is 165lbs; minimum weight is 45lbs
- NEW HOVER BOARD SKINS: Made with Anti-fire Material
- HOVERBOARD PATINETAS ELECTRICAS FEATURES: Electronic Based Hoverboard, Very sturdy- Supporting up to 165 lbs., Impeccable Speed Controlled by Rider, 2 LED Light Up Flash Wheels- Desirable Front LED Lights Equipped with a 36V / 4A battery you can hit max speed of up to 10 MPH and range of over 10 miles.
- SAFETY CERTIFICATION: Certified Hoverboard
What are the Best Hoverboard Brands?
- Pre-assembled; the electric bike already comes pre-assembled so you won't have to waste time with complicated assembly and foreign bike parts
- Height adjustable for adults and teens; easily adjust the bicycle seat and handlebar to find the perfect position for a comfortable ride
- 14 inch wheels; a pair of air-filled rubber tires with quick-disconnect power lines ensure better traction and easy tire maintenance
- Ride Your Way - A hybrid mix between a traditional bike and an electric power bike, the Swag cycle EB7 Elite features 16-inch wheels and three riding modes: throttle-only, pedal-only or power-assisted pedal-to-go. More than just another battery bike.
- Extended Mileage - Capable of going up to 15. 5 miles on a single charge, with a powerful 350W motor capable of throttle-only speeds up to 18. 6 mph. The Swag cycle Elite electric road bike is truly built for the long haul.
- Removable Battery - The motorized bike's swappable 36V Li-ion battery can fully recharge in 3-4 hours. Grab an extra battery (sold separately) and keep it as a spare whenever you need it.
- ※ Get Free Hoverboad Bag---Just contact seller When you received the hoverboard
- √UL2272 Certified & Approved by CPSC---Guaranteed quality and safety
- √Unique Tires-The updated tires have 4 different lights which can0 switch randomly
- INTERNATIONAL HIGHEST SAFETY STANDARDS: UL2272 Certified of hoverboard and MSDS/UN38.3 and UL2271 safety of battery. We provide international highest safety standards reports.
- HIGH-TEMPERATURE RESISTANCE AND FIRE RETARDANCE: The material and manufacturing process of the shell is similar to those of iPhone shell, which is with the features of high-temperature resistance and fire retardance, as well as high strength and toughness.
- THE NEW MUSIC STEREO SPEAKER & RGB LED LIGHT DESIGN: Bluetaath 4.0 technology and seamless integrated cavity design, provide stereo surround sound. Awesome RGB LED design to present you a colorful lighting when riding.
#3 Hovertrax by Razor
- The world's original patented self-balancing Smart scooter
- The new and improved Razor overtax 2.0 reacts to your every move to provide superior stabilization
- Features silent, dual hub motors with gyro sensor Technology for a Super smooth, hover-board-like ride
- The world's smartest self-balancing electric scooter, made by Razor, the trusted global leader in electric recreational products
- UL 2272 Certified, ensuring that the patented Razor hovertrax 1.5 meets the industry's highest electrical safety standards
- Cruising at speed of 6+ mph with a run-time of up to 45 minutes of continuous use for riders up to 176 lbs
This brings us to the million dollar question (or should we say $300 to $400 dollar question)... Which is the best Hoverboard? My top picks all fit the criteria I set out above...
Here's a nifty little comparison chart (you've seen these before) that shows which 5 we will be reviewing. You can click through the images or model name to see the product details:
1. Segway miniPRO
If you and your bag do not weigh more than 220 pounds, then the Segway is a good fit for you to get around and commute. An often overlooked feature of the Segway is its Bluetooth capabilities. This enables you to listen to some rad melodies as well as safely move around using your Segway. Three features that make the Segway mini pro stand out from the rest are:
Maybe you have heard of hovertrax, it is one of the best hoverboard brands out there. The hovertrax has two versions - 1.0 and 2.0, both of which have been certified by UL 2272. Hovertrax 2.0 is the most recent version out of the two. Razor is a popular brand name in the hoverboard market. Most people rate the razor hovertrax 2.0 as the best self-balancing electric scooter in the world. It makes use of a silent 350-watt motor, cruises at a speed of 8.0mph and has a run time of 1 hour.
When you ride on the Hovertrax 2.0, you can extend your miles per hour from 8 to 16. This is because this machine comes with an extra battery pack (a 36V lithium ion battery pack) which you can easily and quickly change. A series of front LED lights and fender bumpers have been added to the newer version. LED lights serve as a battery power indicator to prevent you from riding the device till its battery dies.
The bumpers serve as a protector to the outer shell against damage and scratches. It has two modes - the training and the normal modes. The training modes are for you if you are a beginner. This mode has a limited speed and it will get you familiar with the controls. When you are good with that, you can then switch to the normal mode which has a higher speed limit. If...
- You want to ride around in the night without waking up your neighbors, this scooter is for you. It has a 350-watt motor which is a whisper-quiet motor.
- You do not know how to assemble scooters, then, this is for you. They come ready for immediate use. However, it is highly recommended that you charge the battery before using it for the first time.
Though, the battery may be charged when being tested before it shipped, since you are not sure it was charged when tested, charge it. In conclusion, the razor brand is a trusted and reliable brand. Their hoverboards are known to be sturdy and reliable.
3. SURFUS 6.5" Waterproof Hoverboard
The Surfus is also one of the best rated self-balancing Hoverboards. Though only one model is available, they are in the same price bracket as with other Hoverboards. Also, they compensate for that one model by offering 4 different colors to choose from. This Hoverboard has one of the best self-balancing Hoverboards and it is a great option for you. Surfus is similar to other brands of Hoverboards in terms of basic design and ruggedness. Here are four other exciting bits of this board.
4. EPIKGO Self Balancing Scooter
Epikgo's sturdy boards are intended for rugged terrain. The wheels on the others featured in this list are designed with limited traction and thin threads. Thus, they are mostly compatible with sidewalks and flat surfaces. But the EPIKGO boards allows you to take your trip to the dirt and grass. The EPIKGO self-balancing scooter has the following useful features:
Its signature hoverboard is 30% larger than the other smaller boards. Hence, it offers more stability, especially for adults. One of the biggest drawbacks of this signature product is the price. It is a bit pricier than other Hoverboards. Apart from this signature board, the EPIKGO also has a premier series which costs close to $1,000 as the time of this writing.
One major advantage of the premier series over the others is its protective wheel hubs. Each EPIKGO hoverboard has been passed through 159 tests to affirm its safety. The EPIKGO hoverboard is your only option if you want to travel on any terrain. Some of their hoverboards are bigger in size and have more powerful motors. Thus, they can pass through any rough terrain - grass, dirt etc.
5. Halo Rover (my favorite of the best hoverboards)
The GOTRAX Hoverfly is always on these top hoverboard review lists because it is safe and durable (plus looks awesome). Two of the biggest reasons why it is durable is:
- Boasts speeds up to 7.4 mph.
- It handles up to 220lbs of weight.
- Super sturdy non-slip turn pads
This prevents you from skidding off the board when you encounter a bump.
The halo rover hoverboard can be trusted because.
- It is UL 2272 safety certified, so you have no need to worry about the fire or electricity rating which you see on the halo hoverboard.
- It comes with a great warranty.
Lastly, it comes in some sweet colors so you'll stand out as you ride along.
Last update on 2019-11-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API