For a while I wasn't sure if it was just a nerdy fad that was going to pass but when I first saw a segway on Arrested Development back a few years ago I was pretty sure that I wanted one. After playing with a few segways I realized they are fun but not that practical for me. I have since moved on to regular electric scooters. In this guide I'm going to review the 15 best electrics scooters but mostly the top e scooters for adults. Click here if you are looking for electric scooters for kids.
In this article we're going to go over several different uses for electric scooters. I'll recommend the best electric scooter for each situation. We'll then review the top 15 electric scooters and I'll recommend my favorite one.
Here's the top pick if you are too lazy to read my whole article (shame on you):
Electric scooters are fun, eco-friendly, and a pretty cool way of getting around town. Different makes and models have different features. There are a wide range of riding options. You wouldn’t choose a gas-guzzling Hummer for an everyday cross-city commute. You also wouldn't take a commuting electric scooter off road. We will walk you through the scooters you should look at for commuting, off-roading, or just good ole fun riding.
Are fed up with the rush hour traffic or incredibly packed public transportation that you have to endure every morning? The best electric moped might very well be a great way to save time on your commute to work. When choosing an electric scooter for adults who plan to use it for work commute you need to think about the e-scooter's max range. More specifically, how far will you be able to ride your adult electric scooter per charge?
Nothing is worse than having your long range electric scooter run out of charge when you are still a few miles from the office, and already running late. The battery capacity of the best motor scooter for adults is measured by amp hours (ah). A battery that has an Ah rating of 10 will only allow you to drive for an approximate max of 25 km. Medium range batteries with a 20 Ah rating might allow you to drive up to 35 or 40 km while high range batteries over 20 ah will get you upwards of 40 km. You can charge your scooter at work. If there isn't a charger then try to get an extra long range scooter to make up the difference. (Or you could just bum a ride home)
The top electric scooters will allow you to explore beyond the paved roads of your neighborhood. Off road scooters for adults are a great way to travel, and make for a great alternative to mountain biking, hiking and off road dirt biking. If you want a scooter that will take you into the backcountry, the most important consideration is the size and durability. Because of the rougher road conditions, you will need to search for an off road scooter that has pneumatic tires with a knobby tread style.
Furthermore, the power capability of off road electric scooters for adults is also an important feature that you need to consider. Simply put, the higher the watts (W) associated with your powerful electric scooter, the more power the motor will be able to produce. Many of the best off road riding scooters for adults will have a minimum wattage between 500 and 1000W. If you are planning to take the scooter to areas with steep hills, or if you weigh over 90 kg, you will most likely need a scooter that is closer to 1000W. For lighter riders who plan to go off road on level terrains a lower power rating will work just fine.
The best electric scooter for adults can also be used for pleasure riding. This includes afternoon family scooter trips around the neighborhood. You can also take quick trips to the supermarket to grab a jug of milk. When choosing the best adult electric scooter for fun riding, it is important to consider the weight of the scooter itself. Obviously scooters with larger wheels and more powerful batteries will be much heavier. These can sometimes weigh close to 100 pounds.
Will you be using your electric scooter bike for adults around your home, or will you need to take it with you on public transportation? If you plan to carry your scooter with you either in the car or on the metro, a lighter and more compact scooter will probably be the best option. Make sure to research scooters that are designed for maximum portability through fold-up capabilities.
Now that you know what to look for in a motorized scooter for adults, let´s jump into the reviews of the top 15 electric motor scooters for adults.
Bigger isn’t necessarily always better, but this is one of the absolute best all-around electric moped scooter for adults. It weighs in at 122 pounds, which means that you won´t be able to pack this bad boy onto the bus or metro, but if you have some extra space in your garage, then this is a great option for you.
· Even heavier adults can achieve maximum speeds of 30 mph, meaning that this scooter can be taken on city streets without fear of getting run down by other cars.
· You can also switch to economy mode for longer range and slower riding. This is a great feature for a younger riders whose parents are worried about them cruising at high speeds.
· There is also a turbo button that when pushed will give you a bit of extra power. This comes in handy when heading up a steep hill and you need an extra push.
· Around 12 miles of range per charge.
There have been some customer complaints related to the battery heating up causing the circuits to melt.
Also, while the manufacturer advertises that the seat is removable, it certainly is not easy to get the seat off
Another great option is the Razor EcoSmart Metro. This razor electric scooter for adults and is significantly lighter than the option listed above. At 90 pounds, you obviously won´t be able to pack this one up and take it with you on the bus, but the lighter weight can come in handy for people who are nervous about managing the larger scooters.
· This scooter has a quality range, allowing you to go anywhere from 4 to 14 miles, depending on riding conditions and your weight.
· The pneumatic tires make it possible to safely take this quality electric scooter on the road even during wet conditions.
· The seat and the bamboo foot rest make this reportedly one of the most comfortable fast electric scooter for adults on the market. That makes this a great option if you are planning to ride it daily as an electric commuter scooter.
While the scooter does have a decent range (some customer reviews mentioned ranges above 10 miles per charge), the battery “low” light doesn’t really let you know how much farther you can ride.
It might have been better to have incorporated a device that let you know exactly how much charge the battery had.
If you are looking for a lightweight scooter that doesn’t skimp on speed and long range driving ability, the Xiaomi Mi is one of the best electric moped for adults. These scooters are actually used in the city of Santa Monica, CA as a rentable “scooter” share public transit program.
· This unique scooter weighs in at just over 26 pounds, and is extremely easy to fold up and carry with you. If you have a long commute where the nearest bus stop is still several miles from your workplace, this is a great last-mile option to speed up your commute.
· It also has an incredibly long range, reportedly up to 18.5 miles in optimum conditions. Customer reviews repeatedly mention that they routinely get upwards of 10-12 miles per charge.
· The maximum speed with this little device is over 15.5 miles per hour, which is easily five to six times faster than the average walking speed.
Customers mention that the fold down bar, which is essential if you want or need to fold and store the scooter during your commute or to take it with you in a compact way, habitually becomes loose over time.
The name says it all for this scooter, as it is designed for heavier adults up to 250 pounds. If you are looking for small electric scooters that don’t slow down to walking speed with a bit of extra weight, and that has a decent range, this is the one for you.
· The hub motor is chainless, meaning less problems that you have to worry about.
· A maximum speed of 22 mph is obviously weight dependent, but you will be able to take this little guy on mostly flat roads at a decent speed.
· The 15-20 miles per range is also considerably higher than other models on the market.
Several electric scooter reviews for this product mentioned that it is not easy to re-inflate the back tire. If the air pressure does go down, you will most likely need to remove the wheel to properly inflate it. Also, the 10% climb rate means that this device will most likely suffer going up any serious hills.
Another ultra-lightweight and easy to fold scooter is provided by the company Glion. Their Dolly Foldable product is absolutely one of the best electric scooters for commuting as it well under 30 pounds while incorporating a unique self-standing dolly feature.
· The most obvious and noticeable features is the batteries. The Sony Ion battery pack only takes 3 hours to fully charge and will easily get you a 15 mile range unless you live in the mountains. This is one of the few electric scooters that has lithium ion batteries.
· The product comes fully assembled (which is important if you´re not a mechanic or handyman).
· Customers report that the company offers fantastic customer service if any sort of problem does develop.
· The self-standing dolly feature means that you can easily take this scooter with you through the city (think luggage with wheels).
While the Glion does incorporate a great LED headlight, there is no tail light and that could pose a problem if you habitually drive the scooter early in the morning or in the evening during your commute to and from work.
One of the most common complaints related to battery powered scooter for adults is that the wheels are too small and fragile to take anywhere beyond well-paved city streets and sidewalks. The Super 36v Turbo scooter, however, solves this problems by including super treaded pneumatic tires. Many customers report using this scooter on gravel and dirt roads without any problem.
· This battery scooter for adults has recently included deep cell lead acid batteries, which will allow you to get some serious range.
· The LED head light and the front swinger mono shock are also useful features if you are planning to take the scooter off-road.
· Easy to find and order replace parts should something happen to your scooter.
Several customer reviews have complained about the lack of portability. Not only is this scooter heavy (well over 90 pounds), it also doesn’t fold up very well. If you plan to take it on the plane or bus, you will most likely need to remove the battery first due to bulkiness issues.
Not everyone has the financial capability to drop $1000 dollars on a new electric scooter. If you are looking for affordable electric riding scooters, Razor is one of the most trusted electric scooter brands. The E300S Seated electric scooter costs under $300 while still delivering quality performance characteristics.
· Despite the small size and light weight, this scooter can still easily reach speeds of 15 mph and has an advertised maximum weight of 220 pounds, though several customer reviews reported that it works well on level ground for weights above that.
· The seat post and the padded seat can both be removed if you prefer to ride standing up and want to reduce the weight and bulkiness even more.
· Solid steel construction
You obviously get what you pay for, and for under $300 you are not going to get a world-class battery. This small scooter takes at least 12 hours to reach maximum charge and then will only give you around 40 minutes of drive time. You probably don’t want this scooter for a commute, though for fun-riding it is certainly functional.
Another inexpensive and functional battery scooter for adults is offered by Columbia Bicycles. The TX-450 also currently costs under $300 while also weighing under 50 pounds.
· The non-slip deck (where you put your feet) is a great addition for driving around during wet days.
· This little guy supposedly gets up to 12 miles in optimum conditions, which makes this a great scooter for fun riding around the neighborhood or around town.
· It reportedly handles weights up to 250 pounds without much of a problem.
This little scooter has no suspension system which means that if you plan to take the scooter on roads wear bumps and potholes are a possibility, you might want to think twice. Also, several customers mentioned that the seat is not very comfortable.
This great little scooter has an 800 watt motor which will deliver an extended range. At the same time, however, this adult motorized scooter has foldable technology and weighs significantly less than other comparable products on the market.
· The maximum charging time is around 8 hours, meaning that you should be able to get a full charge while at work at the office.
· This scooter also works well with excessive weight with a 265 pound maximum recommended weight.
· The foldable nature of the scooter makes it easy to transport while the treaded tires allow you to experiment with off-roading terrains.
Many customers criticize the fact that the scooter rarely will meet the max distance per charge of 19 miles, and that the actual charge time tends to be a bit longer than as advertised.
Let´s say you want the best electric folding scooter do away with that horrible morning commute, but your employer won´t let you use one of the outlets at work to charge a scooter. The Airwheel Z5 Scooter is a lightweight scooter that actually allows you to charge the battery via a port on your cellphone.
· As mentioned above, you can charge this bad boy with your mobile phone through a USB interface located on the battery. The charge time is only 2-3 hours max.
· Customers mention that the advertised max speed of 12-13 mph is easily achieved and that the ride is smooth.
· This scooter also comes with an app that allows you to connect to your smartphone. With the app, you can change the scooters speed as well as charge the device.
You shouldn’t expect to get a long range with this scooter, but that should be expected since you´ll be charging it from your smartphone. A more accurate range for the battery is around 3-4 miles, which is still great for short commutes.
Not everyone wants an electric scooter for commuting or for tooling around the neighborhood streets. If you want a quality, powerful, and well-built electric scooter for major off-roading, the Doohan iTank is aptly named.
· The I-Tank has a three wheel design for maximum stability when off-roading.
· At 218 pounds, this guy can easily get up to speeds of 25-30 mph while going uphill.
· A small incorporated storage space along with optional saddle bags means that you will be able to pack some gear with you as you head into the woods.
· You also won´t have to worry about running out of juice as this machine gives you up to 62 miles per charge and also offers dual battery storage for extra-long trips.
The main drawback here is the price as you can expect to pay over $3,000 dollars, but if you want an electric scooter to do some serious off-road exploring, this is easily the best option out there.
An electric scooter doesn’t have to look like a kid’s toy. If are looking for quality battery powered scooters for adults that looks more like a miniature Harley Davidson, that eDrift has a product that is designed for you. The UH-ES295 is a fat-tire electric moped that can be purchased with three different amp hour (Ah) sizes. The 30 Ah model easily gets you upwards of 65 miles per charge.
· This electric scooter can reach cruising speeds that allow you to safely take this even on crowded city streets.
· The dual hand-operated hydraulic disk brake system means that you can brake safely even when cruising at the maximum speed of 30 mph.
· It also has a 350 pound weight limit along with a suspension system that includes quality shocks for a smooth and easy ride.
· While this is designed for city driving, the machine easily generates enough torque for basic off-roading adventures.
Like the scooter reviewed above, the main problem here is the price. While you can find it for under $1800 dollars, it is still significantly more expensive than other models out there.
Dongchuan is another company offering a great electric moped scooter for adults. This little scooter rides like a mini-motorcycle when the seat is attached. If you want to take the seat off (and it is easy to remove) you essentially have an electric kick scooter for adults.
· The battery reportedly comes fully charged and after that, it only takes 5-6 hours to recharge.
· The seated cushion is fully waterproof meaning that you can safely take this little guy out after a light rain.
· Thee scooter is designed with quality shocks. Furthermore, the 10-inch pneumatic tires offer a smooth ride on different types of terrain.
· Both the handlebar and the seat can easily be adjusted to help you find the most comfortable position for long rides.
The maximum speed for this fatty is only 9.3 mph, and you will probably go much slower than that up hills or if you are carrying a bit more weight. If you´re not in a hurry, however, this will probably work well for you.
If you live in San Francisco or some other city where steep hills are found on virtually every block, you will need to find a scooter that has the power to make it up those inclines without slowing to a virtual stop. The Freego Folding Electric Kick Scooter offers a quality design with a powerful 48v motor that can easily make it up 20 degree inclines without losing much velocity.
· You can get upwards of 35 miles per charge with this one, which makes it a great option for long commutes or long day trips exploring the city.
· While the scooter is limited to 15 mph, you can actually contact the company for how to take off the speed governor in order to get up to 25 mph for a bit of extra fun.
· The disk brakes, LED side lights, and powerful headlight are great safety features that will allow for safe night riding as well.
· The 10-inch tires accompanied by a good suspension system allow you to absorb some pretty serious bumps without much of a problem.
Some customers have mentioned that the thumb throttle has gotten stuck in the on position during riding. Furthermore, while it does fold up into an easy-to-carry dolly design, it is a bit bulky and heavy if you plan to carry it with you for an everyday commute.
Lastly, we come to a great electric scooter designed for hybrid use both on paved roads and for off-roading adventures. The SEEV-800 designed by SSR Motorsports is more like as motorbike, though in most places you don’t even need a license to drive it.
· This machine will easily get you 50 miles per charge of range.
· The super fat tires means that the scooter is essentially self-balancing, thus helping you avoid any potential accidents that tend to plague new riders.
· Hydraulic disk brakes are a great improvement over the drum brakes that are more common in other scooters.
· There is also an app that can be downloaded and used with this scooter.
· Lastly, it is an extremely adaptable scooter that can be used for everything from off-roading adventures, to morning commutes, to doing errands around town.
On the downside, this scooter costs upwards of $1,900 dollars. Furthermore, you can only reach maximum speeds of 15 mph, which seems kind of low for a scooter that costs at least double other scooters that reach higher speeds.
As we mentioned above, the best electric scooter for you will largely depend on how you plan to use it, where you will be riding, and how far you plan to go. For me, I´ve been using the best electric scooter for commuting for the past couple of years. Not only do I save close to an hour of commuting time every morning and evening (thus freeing up time for me to spend with my family), I also enjoy how electric scooters get me outside and in the fresh air. Instead of sitting in a crowded metro or listening to the same old debates on talk radio while in the car, my morning scooter commute wakes me up in the morning and relaxes me during my ride home in the evening. Also, there is nothing more satisfying than noticing the looks of disgust on the faces of drivers as I zip past them.
Like a growing number of people, I´m also concerned about the environment, and I try to take seriously my own responsibility for limiting my carbon footprint. My electric adult scooter essentially cancels out a good amount of the carbon emissions associated with my lifestyle, and it makes me feel like I am personally contributing to the fight against global climate change.
As powered scooters for adults have grown in popularity, there are an increasing number of companies manufacturing these transportation alternatives. As with any product, certain brands and manufacturers are to be more trusted than others. Razor is one company that has been producing quality electric moped scooters for adults for a number of years. They have a wide range of products including scooters for the entire family, hover boards, and electric kick scooters. Their diverse product catalogue will surely allow you to find an option that works for your particular need.
Also, Big Toys USA is the manufacturer of the popular UberScoot. This fast electric scooter is one of the most powerful scooters on the market, with up to 1600 watts of power. If you are looking for a 40 mph electric scooter that will also allow you to do some major off-roading, then this brand might be for you.
Electric scooters are fun and practical. I'm glad this fad seems to be sticking around. It seems like the environment and air quality is also benefiting from less cars on the road. They are a great alternative to other forms of transportation. These little rockets are great if want to put some fun in your work commute, explore the natural world without the fatigue, or just do chores for the family. The best motorized scooter for you can be found among the 15 options reviewed above.
Last update on 2018-06-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
John loves scooters. He started with kick scooters back in high school. He now takes a self balancing scooter to work everyday. He works as an bank teller by day, but his passion is writing and passing the time on his scooter.